Restoring Pedro Point Headlands
Located between San Francisco and Half Moon Bay, Pedro Point Headlands offers a spectacular 255-acre landscape, three miles of trails and stunning views. At the same time, the Headlands suffers from persistent erosion, caused by past off-highway vehicle (OHV) use. Sediment runs into San Pedro Creek, harming fish, frogs and other wildlife.
The Pacifica Land Trust is beginning the process of restoring the beauty and health of the Pedro Point Headlands. Together with the community and partner organizations we are working to heal this unique coastal ecosystem and improve the trails.
- A kiosk has been installed at the trail head of the South Ridge Trail. Please refer to the kiosk for updates on the project and trail closures during construction.
- The PPH Restoration and Trail Improvement Project received the whole-hearted support of the San Mateo County Planning Commission. In the words of one commissioner, “Kudos to the people with the vision to protect and restore this property!”.
- We have permission to proceed with construction from our major funder, the Off-Highway Vehicle Division of CA State Parks.
- The Mitigated Initial Study – Negative Declaration (IS-MND) can be downloaded HERE.
- The questions and comments from our public meeting on September 10, 2015, at the Pacifica Community Center were compiled into this document: Summary of 9-10 Public Meeting.
- Draft technical background reports completed:
- Volunteers in the stewardship program meet monthly to care for the land. Volunteers grow and plant native trees, shrubs and wildflowers – and provide a variety of crucial help. Learn more.
- The Pacifica Land Trust received a Measure A grant from San Mateo County. Learn More.
LOVE THE HEADLANDS?
If you enjoy the Headlands, please consider a tax-deductible donation to PLT.
Sign up for updates about our volunteer work days and updates on our effort to restore Pedro Point
UPCOMING WORK DAYS--2016
- August 14
- August 21
- September 18
- October 30
- November 27 "Escape to the Headlands"
- More opportunities available for volunteers interested in working at the nursery. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Presentation of the PPH Restoration & Trails Project to the Pacifica Open Space and Parkland Advisory Committee on August 17.
- Pacifica Planning Commission hearing for a Coastal Development Permit for the small part of the Project area that falls within Pacifica City limits September 6th at 7 pm.
- Attend an upcoming volunteer work day.
- Interested in helping out at the native plant nursery? Email email@example.com.
- 75 Percent Restoration Plan
- 75 Percent Trail Improvement Plan.
- Final PPH IS-MND.
- Summary of 9-10 Public Meeting
- PPH Draft Geologic Evaluation
- PPH Draft Biological Resources Assessment
- PPH Draft Cultural Resources Report
- Press Release: Public Meeting Pedro Point Headlands Restoration & Trails Project
- Press Release: San Mateo County Measure A Grant to Restore Lands and Build Trails at Pedro Point Headlands
- Fact Sheet